Wentworth Woodhouse is one of the largest and most famous 18th century houses in England. This Palladian mansion near Rotherham in South Yorkshire is set in an equally important landscape, today rescued from open-cast mining during the mid-20th century. Built by the 1st and 2nd Marquesses of Rockingham from 1730, the opulent exterior was matched by grand interiors and contents.
Working in partnership with the Wentworth Woodhouse Preservation Trust, who are restoring this large and important site, we hope to create a Landmark for two in the South Tower of the East Front. Around 1770, the upper chamber of the South Tower was adopted by Mary, 1st Marchioness of Rockingham, as her parlour. She had it decorated with fine plasterwork and wall plaques on Classical themes, and the scheme is an important survival of feminine taste in the Georgian period. This secluded eyrie in one of England’s most notable houses will, we hope, become a truly elegant place to stay.