They and the wall plates were cut about especially where the dormers were inserted and in those areas, as you can see, there is new work and a new wall plate on the south side.
The Landmark Trust by this time had bought Church View and it was possible to extend the first floor of Parish House into it, taking down the wall between the two and rebuilding it further west, so that all the trusses except for the one that was pulled down when the old church house became two cottages, are now in the Parish House. On the ground floor the party wall remained where it was before. The partitions and passages which had accumulated during its life as a cottage were removed except for one original 17th-century wooden screen on the first floor, found within later plaster-work. It was repaired and now divides the sitting room from the main bedroom.
Steel tie-rods were inserted in several places where the walls showed signs of leaning outwards.
No access was now needed between the new ground floor parish room and the Landmark part of the building, so the staircase was removed and re-built in a straight and simple form in the north wing. At the top of the old staircase there had been three different levels, now there is one. The door between the new parish room and the north wing lean-to was blocked up.
The first floor in the north wing was uncomfortably low so the level of the first floor was slightly altered. A new front door for the Landmark part of the house was inserted. On either side of the door in the kitchen is a limestone shelf that was probably used for maturing cheeses.
Fairly extensive general repairs were needed: the house was re-roofed, using all the old 'double Roman' tiles that were sound; the window-frames were rotten and had to be renewed. One window, in the north side of the main bedroom was given a mullion window, like those that were there originally, the others are like the 18th-century windows that replaced the mullions, but they have leaded lights. New oak floors were laid in the first floor rooms, and the house was re-wired. The wirescape that festooned the front of the house was removed and the wires run underground.
A plaque by the front door saying the house was built circa 1539 by Richard Whiting last abbot of Glastonbury Abbey, was removed as inaccurate. The Parish House was almost certainly built before 1539 and was not built by any abbot, but by the parishioners of Baltonsborough.
Much thought was given as to how the rooms should be used. At one time the kitchen was going to be next door to the sitting room, with both bedrooms in the wing. but in the end a ground floor kitchen with direct access to a sheltered sitting out area seemed obviously right.
Outside, a carpark was made and Church View was given a garden separate from the Parish House. On the south front the low stone wall was removed and a path of stone flags laid.