We welcome several thousand school age children to Crownhill Fort each year. Enthusiastic tour guides will lead your group around the Fort and provide a tour tailored to complement your classroom learning. Whether your interest is Fortresses and Castles, attack and defence, science and engineering or even flora and fauna there is a tour available for Key Stages 1, 2 and 3.
A typical daytime school visit includes:
- Use of a breakout space for lunch or indoor activies
- An introduction to the Plymouth Forts, why they were built and how they survive today
- Guided visits to recreated barracks, ramparts, magazines and underground tunnels
- Explanations and demonstrations of several types of Victorian artillery
- Use of handling objects and costumes in 1890s and 1940s themed rooms
- Optional lunch bags with a souvenir to take home
- Cannon firing on the Parade Ground (subject to weather conditions)
We can accommodate up to 60 children in one visit. Prices range from £120 to £200 depending on the size of the group and the type of visit. We do not charge for accompanying adults or coach parking.
Crownhill Fort offers a memorable experience for groups of all types, whether their interest is historical, military or educational. In the past we have welcomed many different groups including:
- local history societies
- holiday coach parties
- twinning associations
- U3A and Rotary Club groups
- scout and guide troops
- groups of friends
Every tour is different and is tailored to the visiting group depending on their interests, their level of mobility, the amount of time they have available and even the weather on the day!
The cost of tours starts from £100 (based on a 2 hour visit by a group of 20) and are available all year round. Free parking is available on site and coaches can drop passengers off nearby. Much of the Fort is accessible for those with limited mobility.
Please contact the Fort Office on 01752 793754 or email email@example.com for more information.