From the Marisco Tavern, a relative newcomer having been built as the Island Store by the Lundy Granite Company in the 1860’s, the track going past the helicopter pad also passes, on the left, one of the Island’s major standing stones. The nine identified standing stones around the South End are thought to date from the Late Neolithic or Early Bronze Age – circa BC 2,500. Studies of the stones alignments indicate that these probably functioned as quite an accurate solar calendar.
The building of a lighthouse on Lundy was first proposed in 1786 and in 1819 Trinity House completed what is now known as the Old Light. This was Britain’s highest lighthouse but unfortunately it was often shrouded in thick mists and was replaced in 1897 by the lower-elevated North and South Lights.
Next to the Old Light is the Beacon Hill cemetery, which sits atop the remains of an Iron Age settlement. At the centre of the cemetery is a cist-like grave thought to be that of an early Christian saint whilst against the west wall are four inscribed grave markers dating from 5th to 7th centuries AD. There are also many Medieval remains and more recent memorials from the Heaven and Harman families.
Just north of the Old Light are a couple more standing stones which are aligned with the midsummer solstice sunrises and sunsets whilst the twin row of white-painted stones heading north-east are the markers for the Lundy airfield.
Heading towards Quarter Wall a steep path leads down to The Battery, built in 1863 as a fog signal station when it became apparent that the Old Light’s elevation was too high for it to be seen during heavy mists. The buildings are now derelict but the location, overlooking the Atlantic, is a favourite spot for visitors and residents alike.