St Edward’s Presbytery was built by Augustus Welby Pugin in 1850, part of this great architect’s original conception for this important Gothic revival site on the West Cliffs.
A. W. N. Pugin, master of the Gothic Revival, came to Ramsgate in 1843 for "the delight of the sea with catholic architecture & a Library." He sought to create his ideal of medieval life: a Catholic church and Benedictine monastery, with a family home in their benevolent shadow. That home is The Grange, another Landmark; St Augustine's church is still a thriving centre for Catholicism and and those interested in the Pugins. The monastery next door, completed by his son Edward, is now a spiritual retreat.