Woodspring Priory, an Augustinian house of the rare Victorine rule, has a serene atmosphere, surrounded by a working farm, and lying by the sea.
Woodspring Priory was founded in 1210. It was an Augustinian house of the rare Victorine rule and had St Thomas the Martyr as a patron saint. The priory was a small one but, as elsewhere in Somerset, flourished in the 15th century when the tower and nave of the church, the infirmary and a great barn were built in beautiful golden stone. The north aisle was unfinished when the priory was suppressed in 1536. The church, most unusually, was turned into a house, with a chimneystack built up through the roof of the nave.
On Sunday 3 December from around 12.30 Axbridge Singers will be performing in the nave.
Free Admission and leaflets on the building's history. Click here for location