Woodspring Priory was founded in 1210 perhaps as an expiatory gesture by William de Courtenay, grandson of Reginald FitzUrse who with other West Countrymen murdered Thomas Becket. It was an Augustinian house of the rare Victorine rule and had St Thomas the Martyr as a patron saint. The priory was a small one but, as elsewhere in Somerset, flourished in the 15th century when the tower and nave of the church, the infirmary and a great barn were built in beautiful golden stone.
Free Admission and leaflets on the building's history. Click here for location
Please follow signs for parking. For further information please contact Booking Enquiries. The Booking Office is open Mon to Fri - 9am to 5.30pm.