Sackville House stands on the south side of High Street in East Grinstead, West Sussex, a busy market town and capital of the surrounding historic area of outstanding beauty known as the High Weald. The timber-framed house was built in about 1520, with a garden around 650 feet long. East Grinstead was laid out in the thirteenth century, a street of houses each with a long plot of land behind, called a portland. Most of these have since been divided and built on. Only in one small area, opposite the church, do they survive in anything like their original form.
Nearest station: East Grinstead (15 minute walk)
Standing in a peaceful woodland clearing, Hole Cottage may appear remote, but it's only a 15 minute walk from Cowden Station. The cottage is the surviving cross-wing of a medieval hall-house, which was pulled down in 1833.
Generations of charcoal burners and bodgers worked in these woods and The Hole (its original name) still has the true feeling of the Weald where the forges and furnaces of the Sussex ironmasters were established. The Elizabethan Penshurst Place and Hever Castle (where Anne Boleyn held off Henry VIII's advances) are close by.
Nearest station: Cowden, Kent (15 minute walk)
The Grange was the family home of Augustus Welby Pugin, regarded as one of Britain's most influential designers and architects. Pugin came to Ramsgate in 1843 in search of "the delight of the sea with catholic architecture and a library".
We've returned most of the house to an appearance that Pugin himself would recognise, including the intricate, jewel-bright interiors. From The Grange, you can explore the seaside towns of Ramsgate, Broadstairs, Margate and beyond.
Nearest station: Ramsgate (20 minute walk)
The Egyptian House was once described as "making even Brighton Pavilion look delicate". Found on Chapel Street in Penzance, the house dates from around 1835. Buildings like the Egyptian House were in fashion at the turn of the 19th-century - architects were able to access many Egyptian ornaments and objects after Napoleon's campaign in the country in 1798.
This Landmark is split into three floors: the first sleeps 3, while the second and third sleep 4.
Nearest station: Penzance (10 minute walk)
Elton House overlooks Abbey Green in the very centre of Bath. The house dates from the 18th-century, built to accommodate the affluent Georgians who flocked annually to Bath. The house came into the possession of Philippa Savery in the 1940s who was looking for somewhere to sell her antiques.
Its central position makes it a perfect location for exploring Bath, with its wealth of museums and galleries, historic buildings, parks and gardens, restaurants and shops.
Nearest station: Bath Spa (6 minute walk)