Crownhill Fort is one of ten Forts and Batteries built in the 1860s to defend Plymouth’s naval base from a French attack. Advances in naval power throughout the 1850s led to Lord Palmerston’s government approving a £111 million upgrade of Plymouth’s defences.
Crownhill Fort was designed as the centrepiece of a chain of Forts stretching from the River Tamar to the Cattewater. Its state of the art design allowed for all round defence at both long and short range but Crownhill Fort was never put to the ultimate test due to advances in artillery and changes to defence policy.
From 1872 to 1986 Crownhill Fort remained in the hands of the military playing an important role in many conflicts. Its continued use meant that Crownhill did not suffer from neglect or insensitive alteration like many of its contemporaries.
The Landmark Trust acquired Crownhill Fort in 1987 and have undertaken major work to restore the site to closely resemble that of a Victorian Fortress. As well as being available to let for holidays, Crownhill Fort is home to a community of small businesses, an Education Centre and Event Spaces that can be hired for weddings, conferences and parties.