Groups of Landmarks

  • Cloth Fair

    Fine Georgian houses in historic London

    Cloth Fair

    These plain Georgian houses over shops are opposite the churchyard of St Bartholomew the Great, which almost alone among City churches escaped the Great Fire of 1666. They were sold to us by the late Paul Paget, who had rescued them many years before, with No. 41, the only remaining house in the City built before the Fire. Round the corner is Smithfield market with its robust architecture, sights and smells, facing the noble buildings of St Bartholomew’s Hospital. Further along Cloth Fair are new houses, bringing domestic life to this part of the City.

    +
  • Coombe

    A timeless valley near Bude, Cornwall

    Coombe

    The hamlet of Coombe consists of a watermill, the mill house and several cottages, built among orchards round a ford across a shallow stream. It is at the junction of two wooded valleys and half a mile from the sea at Duckpool, where a sandy beach is exposed at half tide.

    +
  • The Egyptian House

    A rare and notable survivor

    The Egyptian House

    This unusual house is a rare and noble survivor of a style that enjoyed a vogue after Napoleon’s campaign in Egypt in 1798. It dates from about 1835 and the front elevation is similar to that of the former Egyptian Hall in Piccadilly, designed by P. F. Robinson.

    +
  • Endsleigh

    Beautiful gardens above the River Tamar

    Endsleigh

    This most naturally beautiful stretch of the River Tamar (Turner, among others, sketched here and called it ‘altogether Italian’) was chosen by Georgiana, Duchess of Bedford as the setting for a new house; between 1810 and 1816 both Humphry Repton and Jeffry Wyatville played a part in shaping it, and in placing suitable buildings within it.

    +
  • Hampton Court Palace

    A rare glimpse of palace life

    Hampton Court Palace

    Hampton Court Palace is no empty museum, but a large and thriving community, following a tradition set by George III, who allowed loyal servants to live here by Grace and Favour. Now home mainly to institutions and only a few residents, the sense of a secret life beyond the public eye survives – of doors leading to invisible corridors, of figures disappearing up a staircase with briefcase or shopping basket.

    +
  • Lettaford

    A Dartmoor settlement occupied since 1300

    Lettaford

    Lettaford is an old settlement, men having lived here from before 1300. The public road that leads to it breaks up into tracks, taking you on to the moor itself; and all its three farmhouses are, in origin at least, sixteenth-century longhouses. It is sited in a hollow for shelter, its buildings grouped around a green, including a former Methodist chapel, the only one not related directly to farming. It is like many similar hamlets, but few remain so secret or complete.

    +
  • Lower Porthmeor

    A farm hamlet typical of West Penwith

    Lower Porthmeor

    Lower Porthmeor is a township, or farm hamlet, typical of this area of West Penwith, where sometimes as many as four houses are grouped round a single farmyard. The houses are not themselves of great age, but they represent a tradition as old as the tiny stone-hedged fields in which they stand, fields that have scarcely changed since the Iron Age.

    +
  • Lundy

    An island escape in the Bristol Channel

    Lundy

    Lundy (‘Puffin Island’) lies in the Bristol Channel. It is three miles long, a 400 foot granite outcrop with tremendous views of sea and mainland. Its cliffs and hanging valleys are rich in wildlife and wildflowers.

    +
  • Le Moulin de la Tuilerie

    Once home to the Duke of Windsor

    Le Moulin de la Tuilerie

    The three buildings on the lovely site known as Le Moulin de la Tuilerie in the town of Gif-sur-Yvette are our first French Landmarks. This was the former country weekend residence of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor. Edward VIII abdicated from the British throne in 1936 to marry the woman he loved, a twice-divorced American, Wallis Simpson. In exile after the war, the Duke and Duchess of Windsor settled in Paris and Le Moulin de la Tuilerie was the only house they ever owned.

    +
  • Old Campden House

    All that remains of a fine Cotswolds house

    Old Campden House

    In 1613 the newly-enriched Sir Baptist Hicks began work on a house in Chipping Campden. It was a noble edifice in the latest fashion with intricate gardens. 30 years later it was destroyed by Royalists, when in 1645 they withdrew from the town. ‘The house (which was so faire) burnt,’ noted one sadly.

    +
  • Old Warden

    An area once owned by Warden Abbey

    Old Warden

    The model village of Old Warden sits within the area once run by Warden Abbey. The remnants of this abbey together with two more recent Landmarks on the nearby Shuttleworth estate are a short distance from each other, and the attractions of the Swiss Garden and Shuttleworth collection.

    +
  • Landmarks in Oxford

    A city of architectural pleasures

    Landmarks in Oxford

    Oxford has more architectural pleasures and surprises than any town in Britain. We have the former residence of the Union's Steward in central Oxford, and the Old Parsonage in Iffley, a short walk downstream along the Thames. 

    +
  • Peppercombe

    A steep and wooded valley in North Devon

    Peppercombe

    The cliffs of the North Devon coast around Bideford Bay are broken by deep valleys that run almost down to the sea, but not quite. At the mouth there is usually a drop of some feet to the shore, down which tumbles a stream. Peppercombe is just such a valley, steep and wooded, and then opening out into a meadow, 40 feet or more above the beach. The stream goes straight down the final stretch in a fine waterfall, but there is no need for you to do the same, thanks to a gently sloping path.

    +
  • Rhiwddolion

    Remote upland above Betws-y-coed

    Rhiwddolion

    Rhiwddolion (pronounced Rutholeon) is a remote upland at the head of a valley above Betws-y-coed. For a time there was a slate quarry and community here. Long before that Rhiwddolion was on the Roman road that runs from Merioneth to the Conwy valley. Now, however, Rhiwddolion, with only three houses left besides ours, is given over to the sheep.

    +
  • Roslin

    Famed for its spectacular chapel

    Roslin

    The St Clairs, an ancient Scottish family, have held the Rosslyn estate at Roslin since the early fourteenth century. Rosslyn has long been famous for its picturesque valley, enhanced by generations of St Clairs with two extraordinary buildings – its ancient Castle and a breathtakingly beautiful chapel.

    +
  • Saddell

    A long white strand and rocky headland

    Saddell

    The exceptional qualities of Saddell have long been recognised. There was an abbey here, sited safely inland. Later, it was chosen by the Bishop of Argyll for a new castle, which stands near the shore by the mouth of a small river and looking across to Arran. This castle we now own, together with five houses, the steep old beechwood behind and the whole of Saddell Bay with its long white strand and rocky headland. Those who stay here have the freedom of it all.

    +
  • The Shore Cottages

    Humble Caithness fishermen’s cottages

    The Shore Cottages

    This humble row of fishermen’s cottages nestled in the cove at Berriedale embodies much of the history of Caithness over the past 200 years.

    +
  • Shuttleworth Estate

    Surrounded by beautiful woodland.

    Shuttleworth Estate

    Known today for its collection of vintage airplanes, the Shuttleworth Estate has a much older history. In the Middle Ages, Warden Abbey ran the area (its remnants are also now a Landmark).Then in the 1690s, a wealthy linen draper bought the estate. He fashioned the landscape according to the time and built the folly, Queen Anne’s Summerhouse. His descendants, who became the Barons Ongley, created the famous Swiss Garden and the model village of Old Warden.

    +
  • Landmarks in Tewkesbury

    Set between the Malvern and Cotswold hills

    Landmarks in Tewkesbury

    Set between the Malvern and Cotswold hills with all they have to offer, Tewkesbury itself is an ancient and exceptional town. Its abbey church alone is worth making the journey for. Along the main street and in the narrow lanes running off it, medieval and Tudor buildings blend pleasantly with those of later centuries. In one of these lanes, St Mary’s, is another Landmark, a stocking knitter’s cottage.

    +
  • Villa dei Vescovi

    Once the summer residence of Paduan bishops,

    Villa dei Vescovi

    Bute has been called the Scottish Isle of Wight, and certainly Rothesay, its capital, with its Winter Garden and decorative ironwork, is reminiscent of the South Coast. Ascog lies on the sheltered east coast of the island. Trees (especially beech) and shrubs (Charles Rennie Mackintosh drew fuchsias here) grow lushly in its mild climate. It has been gently developed as a superior resort since the 1840s, with a scattering of respectable houses above the bay. Building on the shoreline was wisely forbidden.

    One such house stands in the large and secluded grounds of the old mansion house of Ascog, once home to a branch of the Stewarts. We have acquired both buildings, which stand a few hundred yards apart, each looking over its own, rather different, garden.

    +